Monday, January 7, 2013

New year!

Welcome back to art class at MJMS! It's a new year which means brand new classes! I'm excited to meet my new victims :) Hahahaha.

I have been doing a lot of planning over the break and have really tweaked my curriculum. Last semester was definitely a trial and error. Some things worked great for me and there were some things that did not work AT ALL. Either way, I've changed up some class rules, procedures, the curriculum and other things.

Here are the changes that will be made:

1. Students will be required to bring their own "art box."
Purchasing supplies was insane last semester. Because of the large number of students I get, I was only able to purchase drawing materials such as markers, crayons, paper, pencils, etc. Because of that I was not able to purchase any other items I was really wanting for class like paint, clay, sculpting supplies, charcoal, printmaking supplies, etc. So I have passed a new rule that each student will be required to bring an art box to class everyday that include:

markers
crayons
colored pencils
regular pencils
erasers
hand held pencil sharpener

If students can provide their own markers, crayons and colored pencils this will make a HUGE difference in my budget and allow me to purchase so many more fun materials for the rare projects we don't get to do in class often. Parents, if this becomes an issue let me know and we will work out something.

2. Sketchbook Assignments
We're going away from the art folders and making our own sketchbooks and we will be having sketchbook assignments. I wanted to do this last year but wasn't sure how to make sketchbooks for everyone. Thanks to my bookmaking workshop I was able to find a way to make our own sketchbooks for cheap!

3. We will have a student teacher coming in March!
Her name is Ms. Jessica and I can't wait to meet her and to hear all the wonderful things she will be doing for our students.

Those are the two biggest changes along with some changes in the project choices. Keep checking the art class section on the MJMS website to see and hear about any other announcements we got coming up.

It's going to be a great semester!!!

Laterz.
-Mrs. G


No comments:

Post a Comment